Re: AIX support - alignment issues

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: AIX support - alignment issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 6:49 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> SuperH might be twitching a bit less feebly than these three,
>> but it seems to be a legacy architecture as well.  Not much
>> has happened there since the early 2000's AFAICS.

> It looks like there's an sh3el package for PostgreSQL on NetBSD here,
> so whoever maintains that might be in touch:
> https://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/databases/postgresql14-server/index.html

Hm.  For a moment there I was feeling bad about recommending cutting
off a platform somebody still pays attention to ... but looking at
the relevant NetBSD mailing list archives makes it look like that
port is pretty darn moribund.

> It's funny to think that you probably could run modern PostgreSQL on
> the Sun 3 boxes the project started on in 1986 (based on clues from
> the papers in our history section) if you put NetBSD on them, but
> you'd probably need to cross compile due to lack of RAM.

Yeah.  I'm wondering if that sh3el package was cross-compiled,
and if so whether it was just part of a mass package build rather
than something somebody was specifically interested in.  You'd
have to be a glutton for pain to want to do actual work with PG
on the kind of SH3 hardware that seems to be available.