Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think he's being unreasonable, and I don't understand why
>> you're getting bent out of shape about it.  You proposed a patch, he
>> articulated a problem, you don't want to fix it right now.  All of
>> which is fine.  Why the ad hominem accusations?
>
> I just think it's bad form to hold something like this to the same
> standards as a formal commitfest submission. I am well aware that the
> patch probably has several scalability issues.

I don't agree.  I think it's perfectly appropriate to raise potential
issues at the earliest possible time.  People have regularly been
heard to complain in this forum that those objecting to a patch did
not object soon enough for them to make changes.  That's a hard
problem to fix because we can't force people whose salaries we're not
paying to attention to patches over whatever else they may have to do,
but we shouldn't label it as a bad thing when people choose to get
involved and provide feedback early.  Early feedback is exactly what
we want to encourage here.

And regardless of any of that, I think "person X is being
unreasonable" is a personal attack that has exactly zero place on this
mailing list.  We are here to talk about technology, not anyone's
character.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company