Re: The case against multixact GUCs

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: The case against multixact GUCs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 04/16/2014 11:30 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

>>> Sorry, but I think you're blowing some GUCs *WAY* out of proportion.
>>
>> I'm not talking about the GUCs.
>
> That was about:
> "We can't give users any guidance or tools on how to set multixact
> stuff, and autovacuum doesn't handle it properly."

OK.  I will point out that if multixact freeze was an *intentional*
feature, we'd never have accepted it given the total lack of either
documentation or monitorability.

>> I'm talking about the data corruption bugs.
>
> That was covered by "at this point ripping this out seems likely to
> cause many more bugs than it would solve".

That's certainly possible.  I just don't think the option of reversing
those patches should be off the table.  Things have been bad enough that
that might be the best option.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?
Сообщение: Re: Clock sweep not caching enough B-Tree leaf pages?