Re: Enforcing that all WAL has been replayed after restoring from backup

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Enforcing that all WAL has been replayed after restoring from backup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:44, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

>>> Should we add a note to the documentation of pg_basebackup in 9.1
>>> telling people to take care about the failure case?
>>
>> Something like "Note: if you abort the backup before it's finished, the
>> backup won't be valid" ? That seems pretty obvious to me, hardly worth
>> documenting.
>
> I meant something more along the line of that it looks ok, but may be corrupted.

Yeah.  I'm frankly pretty nervous about shipping 9.1 with this
problem, but note that I don't have a better idea.  I'd favor making
pg_basebackup emit a warning or maybe even remove the backup if it's
aborted midway through.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company