Re: Enforcing that all WAL has been replayed after restoring from backup

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Enforcing that all WAL has been replayed after restoring from backup
Дата
Re: Enforcing that all WAL has been replayed after restoring from backup  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:44, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 10.08.2011 12:29, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Yeah.  I think it's too late to be fooling with pg_control for 9.1.
>>> Just fix it in HEAD.
>>
>> Should we add a note to the documentation of pg_basebackup in 9.1
>> telling people to take care about the failure case?
>
> Something like "Note: if you abort the backup before it's finished, the
> backup won't be valid" ? That seems pretty obvious to me, hardly worth
> documenting.

I meant something more along the line of that it looks ok, but may be corrupted.

>> Or add a signal
>> handler in the pg_basebackup client emitting a warning about it?
>
> We don't have such a signal handler pg_dump either. I don't think we should
> add it.

Hmm. I guess an aborted pg_dump will also "look ok but actually be
corrupt" (or incomplete). Good point.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/