Re: shm_mq inconsistent behavior of SHM_MQ_DETACHED

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: shm_mq inconsistent behavior of SHM_MQ_DETACHED
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Petr Jelinek <petr@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I was playing with shm_mq and found a little odd behavior with detaching
> after sending messages.
>
> Following sequence behaves as expected (receiver gets 2 messages):
> P1 -> set_sender
> P1 -> attach
> P2 -> set_receiver
> P2 -> attach
> P1 -> send
> P2 -> receive
> P1 -> send
> P1 -> detach
> P2 -> receive
> P2 -> detach
>
> But if I do first receive after detach like in this sequence:
> P1 -> set_sender
> P1 -> attach
> P2 -> set_receiver
> P2 -> attach
> P1 -> send
> P1 -> send
> P1 -> detach
> P2 -> receive
>
> I get SHM_MQ_DETACHED on the receiver even though there are messages in the
> ring buffer.

That's a bug.

> The reason for this behavior is that mqh_counterparty_attached is only set
> by shm_mq_receive. This does not seem to be consistent - I would either
> expect to get SHM_MQ_DETACHED always when other party has detached or always
> get all remaining messages that are in queue (and I would strongly prefer
> the latter).
>
> Maybe the shm_mq_get_bytes_written should be used to determine if there is
> something left for us to read in the receiver if we hit the
> !mqh_counterparty_attached code path with detached sender?

That's probably not a good idea, because there could be just a partial
message left in the buffer, if the sender died midway through writing
it.  I suspect that attacking the problem that way will lead to a
bunch of nasty edge cases.

I'm thinking that the problem is really revolves around
shm_mq_wait_internal().  It returns true if the queue is attached but
not detached, and false if either the detach has already happened, or
if we establish via the background worker handle that it will never
come.  But in the case of receiving, we want to treat
attached-then-detached as a success case, not a failure case.

Can you see if the attached patch fixes it?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения