shm_mq inconsistent behavior of SHM_MQ_DETACHED

От Petr Jelinek
Тема shm_mq inconsistent behavior of SHM_MQ_DETACHED
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I was playing with shm_mq and found a little odd behavior with detaching
after sending messages.

Following sequence behaves as expected (receiver gets 2 messages):
P1 -> set_sender
P1 -> attach
P2 -> set_receiver
P2 -> attach
P1 -> send
P2 -> receive
P1 -> send
P1 -> detach
P2 -> receive
P2 -> detach

But if I do first receive after detach like in this sequence:
P1 -> set_sender
P1 -> attach
P2 -> set_receiver
P2 -> attach
P1 -> send
P1 -> send
P1 -> detach
P2 -> receive

I get SHM_MQ_DETACHED on the receiver even though there are messages in
the ring buffer.

The reason for this behavior is that mqh_counterparty_attached is only
set by shm_mq_receive. This does not seem to be consistent - I would
either expect to get SHM_MQ_DETACHED always when other party has
detached or always get all remaining messages that are in queue (and I
would strongly prefer the latter).

Maybe the shm_mq_get_bytes_written should be used to determine if there
is something left for us to read in the receiver if we hit the
!mqh_counterparty_attached code path with detached sender?

Services