Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues

От Dave Page
Тема Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues
Дата
Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues  (Michal Kozusznik <kozusznik.michal@ifortuna.cz>)
Список pgadmin-support
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Michal Kozusznik
<kozusznik.michal@ifortuna.cz> wrote:
> On 26.10.2016 16:15, Dave Page wrote:
>>

>> Or a misunderstanding on your part on the goals of the project and
>> reasons for them.
>

> So just list the reasons, please.
> IMO there is no single reason to work with files stored on the server. It
> could be even considered non-safe in some scenarios. It's enough to work
> with client-side files. It's valid for local as well as remote work

Server based deployments, where multiple users manage servers from one
or more instances of pgAdmin.

>> I agree. Except where it is not possible to do so, or in cases where
>> it could lead to an inconsistent UI experience.
>>
> What do you mean by inconsistent UI experience? If you mean pgadmin having
> different file browser appearance across various operating systems then it's
> non-relevant argument. Goal should be to have UI-consistent app in
> environment it's running under.

I mean having to use our own dialogues in some places where native
ones cannot work, and native ones in other places.

> With client-app responsible for opening files approach, everything would
> work out together.

Except as I pointed out, we have little control over native dialogues
because web browsers have security concerns that cause them to limit
access to the client filesystem.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Сообщение: Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues
Сообщение: Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues