Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues

От Michal Kozusznik
Тема Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On 26.10.2016 17:38, Dave Page wrote:
> Server based deployments, where multiple users manage servers from one
> or more instances of pgAdmin.

After reading your recent responses to various posts I think I'm
starting to understand that the issue lays in the main role pgAdmin4 is
designed for.
It seems, you want it to be server administrative tool while pgAdmin3 is
not for sure.

pgAdmin3 is db design tool more than administration one. Actually it has
nothing to do with administration. Ability to make ad-hoc backups or
vacuums doesn't make it 'administration tool'
It's just GUI extended SQL console. Developers love it just because it's
lightweight, fast and simple.

What I understood, you want pgAdmin4 to be more administration tool than
design/development tool. It's ok. However in my opinion it's not going
to work this way. Probably it will cover a very subset of administrative
functions which might be useful for beginners. In turn, pro
administrators will still use a console while pgAdmin4 as administration
tool will end up unused.
Let's get backup feature as example. IMO no one will use it in
production. It's because production requires more complex scenarios than
execute single command. Even storing backup files onto server (which
server file browsers are intended to help with) might be bad idea in
production. On the other hand it could be useful for developers but they
usually stores backup file onto local disk. So again: browsing server
filesystem is useless.

Mix of administration and development features wouldn't be bad at all,
if it doesn't negatively affect workflow of users belong to
developers/designers userbase. Unfortunately it's what happens right
now: pgAdmin4 is slow and stripped of some basic OS features as price of
being more server oriented.

I don't know if I'm expressing my self as clear as I want (language
barrier), but as you can see, people rise the same issue again and
again. All of them belongs to the same group: db developers/designers.
In my guess pgAdmin might loose great part of userbase, greater than is
able to acquire thanks to new functionality. Of course you can be OK
with it but for sure it doesn't seem to be win for anybody.

with regards
MK

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues
Сообщение: Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues