Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues

От vnicolici
Тема Re: pgAdmin 4 1.0-beta4 - Query Tool, Select file popup issues
Дата
Список pgadmin-support

There is all this talk about web browsers, and server instances shared by multiple users. While that is nice to have in some situations, me and the other people in my team currently have no use for that.

My use case is installing pgAdmin locally on my workstation as an application that will run standalone (what you call the “desktop runtime”), not as an web app. And having the various SQL files that I use to do my development and ops work locally on my computer.

This means I need to be able to navigate files and folders quickly with an easy to use UI, that is preferably the OS native dialog.

As it is now, by default I have to click a lot of folders until I reach the local folder with the SQL files. And it doesn’t even remember the last folder used. If I want to open another file, I need to navigate through the hierarchy of folders again. There is no history of previously open files, and it doesn’t allow me to pin favorite folders. I can’t type folder / file names and have them autocomplete automatically.

In theory, alls this could be implemented as features in the non-native file dialog. But I think it would be much easier from a development point of view and better for the users to just use the native OS file dialog for standalone client installations (the desktop runtime).

Having to navigate the file system manually only using the mouse feels like being forced to write SQL queries using a graphical query builder. Or like removing the terminals and shells from an operating system. I feel like I’m working with my hands tied when I need to use the current file picker.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10