Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 7:16 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On 06/29/2016 11:05 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I am not sure what you mean here.
>>

>> By changing "Interactive installer by EnterpriseDB" to "EnterpriseDB",
>> you do 2 things:
>

> That isn't what I did. I grouped two, almost identical VENDOR distributions
> into a common download area. I also removed redundancy in the listing versus
> what it is now.
>
> Proposed:
>
> MacOS X:
>
> Interactive Graphical Installers:

Ahh, I overlooked that line. As I mentioned originally though, Marc
changed that title because it is misleading in our case - on Linux and
Mac there are text based and silent installation modes, and Windows
supports silent mode as well.

>> 1) Introduce inconsistency by naming some entries for their author,
>> and others by their type (e.g. "Homebrew")
>

> No. I named some entries by their vendor (I am being pedantic for a reason).
> Homebrew isn't a vendor.

Exactly my point. It's inconsistent, which was what you said you were
trying to avoid.

>> 2) Force users to read the "named by vendor" sections in more depth to
>> see if their offering is of the type the user is looking for.
>

> Which is certainly better than what we have now.
>
> Now if there is a complaint with how we represent the community stuff (like
> Homebrew) then let's do what we should be doing and put them first anyway.

We don't put them first for a very good reason (one that was discussed
at length over very long periods of time) - we push the "easiest to
get started" options to the top, to minimise user confusion - a choice
that quickly paid off as the number of questions to webmaster@ and
other places dropped off after we implemented the current layout.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages