Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 06/29/2016 11:05 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> On 06/29/2016 10:46 AM, Dave Page wrote:

>> I am not sure what you mean here.
>
> By changing "Interactive installer by EnterpriseDB" to "EnterpriseDB",
> you do 2 things:

That isn't what I did. I grouped two, almost identical VENDOR
distributions into a common download area. I also removed redundancy in
the listing versus what it is now.

Proposed:

MacOS X:

Interactive Graphical Installers:
    * EnterpriseDB
      "Insert short, not more than 150 words (?) description"
    * BigSQL
      "Insert short, not more than 150 words (?) description"

I would be even happier if it just said:

MacOS X:

Vendor Installers:
* EnterpriseDB"Insert short, not more than 150 words (?) description"
* BigSQL"Insert short, not more than 150 words (?) description"

Community Installers:
* Homebrew"Insert short, not more than 150 words (?) description"
* Macports"Insert short, not more than 150 words (?) description"
* Postgres.app"Insert short, not more than 150 words (?) description"

I would be bordering, "I am in the woods not having yet another
argument on a mailing list" if we put community installers first.

> 1) Introduce inconsistency by naming some entries for their author,
> and others by their type (e.g. "Homebrew")

No. I named some entries by their vendor (I am being pedantic for a
reason). Homebrew isn't a vendor.

> 2) Force users to read the "named by vendor" sections in more depth to
> see if their offering is of the type the user is looking for.

Which is certainly better than what we have now.

Now if there is a complaint with how we represent the community stuff
(like Homebrew) then let's do what we should be doing and put them first
anyway.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages