Re: Pgadmin 4 view and sort table

От Dave Page
Тема Re: Pgadmin 4 view and sort table
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 5:37 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Russell,
>
> I'm responding as a fellow user.
>

>>> Perhaps I am jumping the gun here, as the software is recently
>>> released, but I am having trouble figuring out some basic operations
>>> that I could do using PGAdmin 3.
>>>
>>> 1.  Open a table in its own window.  In PGAdmin 3, opening a table
>>> opened its own window that was independent of the main system tree.
>>> This allowed for arranging multiple tables across screens.  Now, all
>>> windows may float, but they are constrained within the application
>>> window.  Is this by design, or am I missing something?  It makes it
>>> infinitely more difficult to use when everything is constrained to a
>>> single window.
>
> This is definitely a limitation, I expect largely due to the convertion
> to a browser-based primary application version.  Note that I'm using the
> webserver, so I don't know if there's a way around this in the desktop app.

Right - because it's a web app, it's constrained to the browser (which
includes the desktop runtime). Some panel types are largely
self-contained though (e.g. the query tool and debugger), so we have a
TODO to allow them to be opened in new browser windows or tabs - this
is noted in the feature request here:
https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1344

>>> 2.  When you view the data in a table, it does not seem possible to
>>> sort the table.  Opening a table to view all records creates a
>>> "Query-1" tab, which has a basic Select * by query, with order by the
>>> primary key.  This is all greyed out and unable to be modified.  How
>>> do you resort a table?
>
> At this point?  Add "ORDER BY column" to the query.

You can't currently edit the query when in View Data mode (because we
don't yet have enough smarts to determine whether the output of an
arbitrary query is updatable or not). It looks like we lost the
ability to sort though, I suspect when we moved to using SlickGrid
instead of BackGrid. Currently, we always sort by the primary key I
believe, but you do also have filtering options that may help find
what you're looking for.

Missing feature logged here: https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/1894

--
Dave Page