Urgent --- Installation error on UltraSPARC-IIi processor version Postgres 7.3.2

От Somasekhar Bangalore
Тема Urgent --- Installation error on UltraSPARC-IIi processor version Postgres 7.3.2
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi All,

I have installed postgres 7.3.2 on Linux Redhat 9 EE  on intel processors. I am copying (tar) the installed directories
andthen I am installing the same on different flavors of linux like turbolinux ,Chinasoft on intel processors  etc. The
installationwent just fine. No compiling of postgres on different flavors.

Then I tried installing postgres on Unix platform on Intel processors. The installation was fine. But when I am
installingthe same on UltraSPARC-Iii processor. I am not able to install. I am getting a wired error. please find the
errormessage .

The program
    '/opt/pgsql/bin/postgres'
needed by initdb does not belong to PostgreSQL version 7.3.2, or
there may be a configuration problem.

This was the error message issued by that program:
/opt/pgsql/bin/postgres: syntax error at line 1: `^?ELF^A^A^A^B^C^A0+^G^H4' unexpected

Can some one help me out figuring what the problem is.  My question is does processor matter. The complied postgres
fileunder bin directory was done on intel processor. Does it matter if I used the same postgres file for UltraSPARC-Iii
processor.

Cos for intel processor everything went fine on  Linux & Unix platform. But when I shifted to a different processor.
Installationdoes go thru.

Thanks
-som