Re: Urgent --- Installation error on UltraSPARC-IIi processor version Postgres 7.3.2

От Uwe C. Schroeder
Тема Re: Urgent --- Installation error on UltraSPARC-IIi processor version Postgres 7.3.2
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

you're trying to run a intel binary on a sparc processor ??
That will never work!! It's like using gasoline in a diesel engine or using a
hammer with a screw.
Try compiling (or using a binary package) for the sparc platform.
7.3.2 is rather old, so you
1) shouldn't use it anyways (try the latest 7.4)
2) be able to find a precompiled binary for the sparc platform

To your question: YES processors do matter. Most "Intel's" are intel
compatible. Sparc or Motorola processors are not compatible to Intel (or each
other or anything else for that matter).
It would be nice if you could run anything on anything, but that's just not
going to happen.

UC

On Thursday 19 August 2004 12:41 am, Somasekhar Bangalore wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have installed postgres 7.3.2 on Linux Redhat 9 EE  on intel processors.
> I am copying (tar) the installed directories and then I am installing the
> same on different flavors of linux like turbolinux ,Chinasoft on intel
> processors  etc. The installation went just fine. No compiling of postgres
> on different flavors.
>
> Then I tried installing postgres on Unix platform on Intel processors. The
> installation was fine. But when I am installing the same on UltraSPARC-Iii
> processor. I am not able to install. I am getting a wired error. please
> find the error message .

>--------------------------------------------------------- The program
>     '/opt/pgsql/bin/postgres'
> needed by initdb does not belong to PostgreSQL version 7.3.2, or
> there may be a configuration problem.
>
> This was the error message issued by that program:
> /opt/pgsql/bin/postgres: syntax error at line 1: `^?ELF^A^A^A^B^C^A0+^G^H4'
> unexpected
>
> Can some one help me out figuring what the problem is.  My question is does
> processor matter. The complied postgres file under bin directory was done
> on intel processor. Does it matter if I used the same postgres file for
> UltraSPARC-Iii processor.
>
> Cos for intel processor everything went fine on  Linux & Unix platform. But
> when I shifted to a different processor. Installation does go thru.
>
> Thanks
> -som

- --
    UC

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell:   +1 650 302 2405        United States
Fax:    +1 650 872 2417