the build

От Nic Ferrier
Тема the build
Дата
Re: the build  (Oliver Jowett <oliver@opencloud.com>)
Список pgsql-jdbc
Oh woe! the awful plight of the java build maker.

The jdbc build works really well, for the majority of cases. But I'm
just playing with building postgresql with GCJ (the GNU java
compiler).

The build is badly broken when it comes to dealing with GCJ:

- the compiler is not passed through to the ANT build, it's not even
  autodetected.
  It's fairly easy to fix this problem though, but it would normally
  entail switching to the autoconf java macros for java compiler
  detection.

- the version of the library to build is decided by testing the
  version of java that is running ant, not the version of java that
  is being used as the compiler.

- the version of java is used to decide which version of the drivers
  get built. This prevents cross compiling.

If this was an autoconf/automake build we'd use some macros to decide
which version to build by running a small compile to check what
classes were available.

I could write an autconf/automake build... but it's never going to
make ant redundant because windows people use ant (I'm guessing).

Does anyone have any ideas how I might make the build process more
generic whilst not breaking ant compatibility?

Nic