Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!

От Dawid Kuroczko
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:52:16 -0800, Joshua D. Drake
<jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> >Whatever, I'll keep root only for absolutely restricted use & install
> >under a separate user account.  Works just fine & it makes the auditors
> >& sysadmin feel better.
> I don't argue the point of using root. I agree with you there.
> Just the point that if it is owned by root it executes as root.

But only if either setuid root or executed by root.  Hey, on my
system even /bin/sh is owned by root; it would be funny of it
executed as root

I see one reason to use 'postgres' as the install user -- to give
access to psql binaries to group of users (say, members of
postgres group).  But I think PostgreSQL's own permission
system is enough for the job. :)

  Regards,
       Dawid

Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!