Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 v. Oracle 10g xe

От Ian Harding
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 v. Oracle 10g xe
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> I discovered in the process of attempting to install Oracle 10g express
> edition that it is an extraordinary memory hog.  One might have thought
> that one might have something that might have lower system requirements
> than the full version.  However, this is not the case.
>
> The installation itself is about 2GB (meaning you need at least 2GB of
> free space and 352 MB RAM.  The installation failed because it said I
> needed at least 700MB swap space to install on Linux based on these
> resources.  Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?  Why should an
> RDBMS require so much swap space?

I installed 10gXE on Linux.  Left it alone for a couple weeks.  Hard
drive filled with some kind of "log" information that is generated at
a phenomenal rate, with NO ACTIVITY!!.  Amazing.  It took an exorcism
to get it off the machine too.  It kept coming back from the dead.
Bah.

How many instances of PostgreSQL can dance on the head of a pin?

- Ian

От: "John D. Burger"
Сообщение: Re: another seemingly simple encoding question
От: Brandon Keepers
Сообщение: Re: Relation 'pg_largeobject' does not exist