Обсуждение: PostgreSQL 8.1 v. Oracle 10g xe

PostgreSQL 8.1 v. Oracle 10g xe

От
Chris Travers
Дата:
Recently I have been attempting to install Compiere.  After spending a
lot of time attempting to get it to work, I have given up installing it
on PostgreSQL.  I did however, get a little experience installing JDBC
and PL/Java in the mean time.

I discovered in the process of attempting to install Oracle 10g express
edition that it is an extraordinary memory hog.  One might have thought
that one might have something that might have lower system requirements
than the full version.  However, this is not the case.

The installation itself is about 2GB (meaning you need at least 2GB of
free space and 352 MB RAM.  The installation failed because it said I
needed at least 700MB swap space to install on Linux based on these
resources.  Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?  Why should an
RDBMS require so much swap space?

After this experience, I have a much more profound appreciation for the
quality RDBMS that is PostgreSQL.  PostgreSQL will install fine on any
of my computers if I need it to.

In short, thanks guys for such an awesome RDBMS.  PostgreSQL will always
remain my favorite.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 v. Oracle 10g xe

От
Oisin Glynn
Дата:
Chris Travers wrote:

> Recently I have been attempting to install Compiere.  After spending a
> lot of time attempting to get it to work, I have given up installing
> it on PostgreSQL.  I did however, get a little experience installing
> JDBC and PL/Java in the mean time.
>
> I discovered in the process of attempting to install Oracle 10g
> express edition that it is an extraordinary memory hog.  One might
> have thought that one might have something that might have lower
> system requirements than the full version.  However, this is not the
> case.
>
> The installation itself is about 2GB (meaning you need at least 2GB of
> free space and 352 MB RAM.  The installation failed because it said I
> needed at least 700MB swap space to install on Linux based on these
> resources.  Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?  Why should
> an RDBMS require so much swap space?
>
> After this experience, I have a much more profound appreciation for
> the quality RDBMS that is PostgreSQL.  PostgreSQL will install fine on
> any of my computers if I need it to.
>
> In short, thanks guys for such an awesome RDBMS.  PostgreSQL will
> always remain my favorite.
>
> Best Wishes,
> Chris Travers
> Metatron Technology Consulting

I come from an Oracle 8.X/9.X on Windows background and to be honest we
are moving towards Postgres for as many applications/projects as we can.
We have to keep Oracle but now version Xe for the tougher to migrate
parts and I have been shocked at how Oracle Xe slows down a medium spec
pc/server. Oracle 8.x 9.x (Standard Edition) sure was slimmer!! And both
were a factor fatter than 7.X  Seems like maybe all the bloat was
included and the features were just disabled.  Roll on the happy day we
dispense with Oracle completely.

Many times a paid up Oracle support contract has been less help than
searching the Postgres mailing list archives. And the mailing lists are
probably as responsive to inquiry but with a more competent person
answering the Postgres question.

Oisin

Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 v. Oracle 10g xe

От
"Ian Harding"
Дата:
> I discovered in the process of attempting to install Oracle 10g express
> edition that it is an extraordinary memory hog.  One might have thought
> that one might have something that might have lower system requirements
> than the full version.  However, this is not the case.
>
> The installation itself is about 2GB (meaning you need at least 2GB of
> free space and 352 MB RAM.  The installation failed because it said I
> needed at least 700MB swap space to install on Linux based on these
> resources.  Am I the only one who finds this disturbing?  Why should an
> RDBMS require so much swap space?

I installed 10gXE on Linux.  Left it alone for a couple weeks.  Hard
drive filled with some kind of "log" information that is generated at
a phenomenal rate, with NO ACTIVITY!!.  Amazing.  It took an exorcism
to get it off the machine too.  It kept coming back from the dead.
Bah.

How many instances of PostgreSQL can dance on the head of a pin?

- Ian