Re: another seemingly simple encoding question

От John D. Burger
Тема Re: another seemingly simple encoding question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
This doesn't sound like your problem, but I'll explain the
normalization issue using Korean as an example, since that seems to be
your data:  There are codepoints in Unicode both for Hangul and Jamo,
so a Hangul glyph can be represented either with the single
corresponding codepoint, or as two or three Jamo codepoints.  A Unicode
font would display these two alternatives identically.  In any Unicode
encoding, including UTF8, these two strings would not be byte-for-byte
identical.  The Unicode normalization forms are four algorithms for
normalizing the strings in such a way that they do compare identically.

Anyway, it sounds like you have the opposite problem, two strings that
are comparing equal when you think they shouldn't.  I don't know that
anyone can help you unless you post an actual example of two such
strings.

- John D. Burger
   MITRE