Re: full data disk -- any chance of recovery

От Gregory S. Williamson
Тема Re: full data disk -- any chance of recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
FWIW,

I can at least report the resolution of the original problem.

I went sleuthing and found some core files in the ./base/13860299 directory. Deleteing those freed up some gigabytes of
space(each core was 1-2 gigs).

The server that I had tried to stop with "-m immediate" command did in fact then go offline; it came up with a few
complaints;I ran a vacuum on all of the databases in that instance and our content manager was able to do his update
(theupdate was such that reapplying it to any given row didn't hurt anything; these were massive updates changing
copyrightrelated info and the like). So far the database has passed all sanity checks and is back online.

The server that I left alone was responsive, i.e. psql could connect and do queries, but there were a few tables it
refusedto have anything to do with, complaining about missing xlog files. I brought it down with with "-m fast" mode,
restartedit and it also seems now to be fine. (Knock on simulated woodgrain)

Lessons learned:
  a) upgrade to current revisions whenever possible -- old software is a hand grenade waiting to go off.
  b) look for core files and delete them if you don't need them -- I was not expecting to find them in a data directory
sothis was a bit of s surprise.
  c) don't run out of disk space (duh)

Thanks to all who helped me. I might be able to get a server to test on with a different release of postgres if that
wouldbe useful, although we are strictly a linux shop and Dell x86 servers are what I mostly can get my hands on
(running2.4.21-0.13mdkenterprise).

Greg W.