full data disk -- any chance of recovery

От Gregory S. Williamson
Тема full data disk -- any chance of recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
An enthusiastic person in out content department went and did a silly thing ...

Well, he went and fired off an update that consumed all of the remaining disk space on two runtime servers.

We've fallen back to a hot spare and I am faced with trying to retrieve these machines by Tuesday morning when we
expectsome increase in traffic.

Postgres version is 7.4; the only thing in the /data directory is postgres data and related files:

$ du
3632    ./gex_runtime/base/1
4468    ./gex_runtime/base/17141
0       ./gex_runtime/base/138602992/pgsql_tmp
32682348        ./gex_runtime/base/138602992
32690448        ./gex_runtime/base
340     ./gex_runtime/global
492120  ./gex_runtime/pg_xlog
7660    ./gex_runtime/pg_clog
33190592        ./gex_runtime
0       ./bkup
33190592        .

The log is saying:
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
2006-01-01 23:20:19 WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because
anotherserver process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
2006-01-01 23:20:19 LOG:  could not close temporary statistics file
"/data/postgres/gex_runtime/global/pgstat.tmp.1413":No space left on device

Availables space is:
$ df
/dev/sda1             32850580   3137552  28044280  11% /
/dev/sdb1             35001508  33223500        16 100% /data

Any suggestions ? Falling back to the last known state is fine, but just in case I am making a backup of the remaining
databaseto build a replacement.

And yes, I did forsee this and did warn management repeatedly and yet somehow the advice falls on deaf ears. Go figure.
Iguess maybe because it isn't management that a hole kicked in a 3 day weekend.

Greg Williamson
DBA (for now at least)
GlobeXplorer LLC