Re: Replication Cluster Monitoring

От Kevin Grittner
Тема Re: Replication Cluster Monitoring
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
HEMPLEMAN Matthew <matthew.hempleman@alstom.com> wrote:

> I’m writing a Java application to monitor a streaming
> replication cluster (Windows).  I want to monitor the Master and
> initiate failover if necessary (something like a scaled down
> version of pgpool).  I also want to monitor the standby and
> terminate synchronous replication in the event of a failure.  At
> this point, my app is polling the Master every N seconds and
> triggering a failover if the wait is too long or it receives a
> connection error.  I’m worried that this method of assessing
> server health could lead to false-failovers.  Any suggestions as
> to specific health checks I could run or issues I should watch
> out for?

Such an approach has many race conditions that can cause problems.
You may want to do web searches on the terms "split-brain
syndrome", STONITH, fencing, and heartbeat (as they apply to
computing).  It is not trivial to get this right, and if it's not
right it can easily cause more down time than it prevents.  (That's
not unique to PostgreSQL; it's the nature of automating fail-over.)

Be sure to consider what happens for transient network failures on
each machine and combination of machines, or if a machine
temporarily has a load that causes it not to respond for seconds or
minutes.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com