Re: Errors on VACUUM

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Errors on VACUUM
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Bob Smith <bsmith@h-e.com> writes:
>> I'm rather surprised that restarting the postmaster didn't make the
>> error go away, but it's unlikely that anyone will care to investigate
>> --- unless you can reproduce the problem in 7.1.3 or later.

> So this isn't an error that would be caused by some sort of file
> problem?

AFAICT what you have there is just dangling buffer reference counts;
ie, something didn't release its reference to a disk page buffer in
shared memory.  We used to have quite a number of bugs of that ilk,
though I've not heard of such lately.  They're fairly harmless
normally.

It's not clear to me why a restart (which would naturally clear shared
memory) didn't fix the problem.  Perhaps you had some configuration
on disk that tickled the original buffer-leak bug again each time you
restarted; but I dunno what.  VACUUM itself was never prone to such
errors, so it's hard to see how a restart and immediate VACUUM would
show the problem.  Were you doing other stuff in between?  Have you
got any interesting stuff (like functional indexes, maybe) on this
table?