Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 06/29/2016 07:17 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
>> On Jun 29, 2016, at 9:29 AM, Marc Linster @ EDB
>> <marc.linster@enterprisedb.com <mailto:marc.linster@enterprisedb.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> This is a patch to update the descriptions for the EDB one-click
>> installers for OSX, Windows and Linux.
>> <edboneclickpatch.diff>
>
> I reviewed the page and it looks okay from a technical perspective.  I
> will wait a day to see if anyone has a comment on the language, and if
> not, will apply it.

-1.

I read through this and this is essentially a marketing update. That in
itself isn't a bad thing but it will create inconsistencies in the site.
For example on:

https://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx/

It will now say:

"Interactive installer by EnterpriseDB"

Instead of the site/vendor consistent "Graphical Installer"

The problem here is, we are going to get into a battle of the marketers
to continue to distinguish themselves against each other. That is not
useful for our community.

Instead I suggest a patch that does something like this (consistently):

MacOS X:

Interactive Graphical Installers:
* EnterpriseDB  "Insert short, not more than 150 words (?) description"
* BigSQL
  "Insert short, not more than 150 words (?) description"

Other distributions:
* postgres.app

Other packagers (I don't like this name but it is the first thing that
popped in my head):
* Homebrew* Fink

etc....

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages