Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/13/2016 07:42 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>> Oh, absolutely. I was just pointing out how a lot of companies are hoarding
>> talent internally for no productive purpose.
>
> Wow, really?
>
> I disagree both with the idea that this is happening and with your
> characterization of it.  First, there are lots of people contributing
> code to PostgreSQL right now.  To look at the just the last
> CommitFest, we've got multiple people from all of Crunchy Data,
> 2ndQuadrant, EnterpriseDB,  Postgres Pro, and NTT; plus Julien Rouhaud
> from Dalibo and Peter Geoghegan at Heroku and Michael Paquier at
> VMware, among many others.

Singular point contribution is not the point of my argument. My point is
that if three people from EDB and three people from Citus got together
and worked on a project in full collaboration it would be more
beneficial to the project.

> I'm not sure anyone at CommandPrompt
> submitted a patch, though.  :-)

This is true. We have been a little busy doing a lot of things for the
community that -hackers are generally not good at.

> Second, when people don't contribute as much as you think they should
> to the PostgreSQL community, I don't think that necessarily means
> their employer is doing something wrong.  Sometimes, it may be the

This is also true.

> employee's choice to spend more time on consulting or support or
> whatever else they are doing; maybe that's what they like to do.  At
> other times, it may be the thing that has to be done to pay the bills,
> and I think that's legitimate, too.  People have a right to earning a
> living, and companies have to make money to keep paying their
> employees.

As someone in this community that is responsible for paying the bills
including employee salaries, I fully agree with this.

> Let's respect people and companies for what they do contribute, rather
> than labeling it as not good enough.

There was no disrespect intended. I was trying to push forth an idea
that multi-company team collaboration is better for the community than
single company team collaboration. I will stand by that assertion.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564