Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
On 05/13/2016 07:42 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Oh, absolutely. I was just pointing out how a lot of companies are hoarding
talent internally for no productive purpose.

Wow, really?

​[...]

Let's respect people and companies for what they do contribute, rather
than labeling it as not good enough.

There was no disrespect intended. I was trying to push forth an idea that multi-company team collaboration is better for the community than single company team collaboration. I will stand by that assertion.

​Yeah, that failed...

I find it much easier to debate the assertion "multi-company team collaboration is better ..." than debating ​whether "companies are hoarding...".

I'll disagree - such a blanket statement is nearly worthless.  Three one-person companies working together would not automatically produce better outputs than a single company dedicating 3 people to an endeavor.  But even that retort requires me to cheat because I'm able to draw a conclusion about the fallacy of generalization without needing to be any more precise as to my concept of "better".

When it comes to the first statement nothing can be done to avoid the fact that no frame-of-reference has been established for "productive purpose".

Contrary to my earlier point the nature of our setup makes the whole "scold privately" aspect difficult - and maybe this approach works better than I can imagine.  Though the down-thread from the quoted post does seem to indicate that considerable non-lethal friendly-fire is one of its byproducts.

David J.