Re: 10.0

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter@gmail.com> wrote:

My main concern is that a commitment to never, ever break backwards
compatibility is a commitment to obsolescence.

​​You started this sub-thread with:

"If I understand correctly..."

​I'm not sure that you do...​

Our scheme is, in your terms, basically:

<major>.micro

where <major> is a decimal.

You cannot reason about the whole and fraction portions of the decimal independently.

When <major> changes backward compatibility can be broken - with respect to both API and implementation.

It therefore makes sense to
reserve room in the numbering scheme to be clear and honest about when
backwards compatibility has been broken.  The major number is the normal
place to do that.

​I'm not convinced there is enough risk here to compromise the present in order to accommodate some unknown ​scenario that may never even come to pass.

David J.