Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 8:46 PM, Joshua Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Oh, absolutely. I was just pointing out how a lot of companies are hoarding
> talent internally for no productive purpose.

Wow, really?

I disagree both with the idea that this is happening and with your
characterization of it.  First, there are lots of people contributing
code to PostgreSQL right now.  To look at the just the last
CommitFest, we've got multiple people from all of Crunchy Data,
2ndQuadrant, EnterpriseDB,  Postgres Pro, and NTT; plus Julien Rouhaud
from Dalibo and Peter Geoghegan at Heroku and Michael Paquier at
VMware, among many others.  I'm not sure anyone at CommandPrompt
submitted a patch, though.  :-)

Second, when people don't contribute as much as you think they should
to the PostgreSQL community, I don't think that necessarily means
their employer is doing something wrong.  Sometimes, it may be the
employee's choice to spend more time on consulting or support or
whatever else they are doing; maybe that's what they like to do.  At
other times, it may be the thing that has to be done to pay the bills,
and I think that's legitimate, too.  People have a right to earning a
living, and companies have to make money to keep paying their
employees.

Let's respect people and companies for what they do contribute, rather
than labeling it as not good enough.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company