Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD
Дата
Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD  (Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 04/21/2014 10:39 AM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> What I am seeing here is unfortunately a very strong departure from
> FreeBSD support by the community from several of the developers.  In
> fact over drinks at pgcon last year there were a TON of jokes making fun
> of FreeBSD users and developers which I took in stride as professional
> joking with alcohol involved.  I thought it was pretty funny.  However a
> year later and I realize that there appears to be a real problem with
> FreeBSD in the pgsql community.

The reality is, FreeBSD is like Saab (before it died, and no I am not
suggesting that FreeBSD is dying). Saab was a niche, very cool
automobile that offered a lot of unique features that others didn't.
However, they didn't sell very well in the states but had a very devoted
fan base (myself included).

FreeBSD is awesome. There is no question about that. It certainly has a
better license than Linux and has offered things for years that Linux
has never really gotten right (jails/zones).

That said, FreeBSD is niche and Linux is, not. Linux is the king of the
jungle in this world. Whether we want it to be or not and what that
means is: that is where the resources go.

If the community had more *BSD presence I think it would be great but it
isn't all that viable at this point. I do know however that no-one in
this community would turn down a team of FreeBSD advocates helping us
make PostgreSQL awesome for PostgreSQL.

> There are other Linux centric dbs to pick from.  If pgsql is just

No, there is about 1 and its derivatives thereof. If you want the type
of features pgsql offers, then pgsql is all you have got.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579