Re: patch submission: truncate trailing nulls from heap rows to reduce the size of the null bitmap [Review]

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: patch submission: truncate trailing nulls from heap rows to reduce the size of the null bitmap [Review]
Дата
Re: patch submission: truncate trailing nulls from heap rows to reduce the size of the null bitmap [Review]  (Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon,

> I think its rather a shame that the proponents of this patch have
> tried so hard to push this through without working variations on the
> theme. Please guys, go away and get creative; rethink the approach so
> that you can have your lunch without anybody else losing theirs. I
> would add that I have seen the use case and want to support it, but
> we're looking to add to the codebase not just steal small bites of
> performance from existing use cases.

Do we really have ironclad numbers which show that the patch affects
performance negatively?  I didn't think the previous performance test
was comprehensive; I was planning to develop one myself this week.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.