Re: Pooled Connections (was Connections with Tomcat

От Doug Fields
Тема Re: Pooled Connections (was Connections with Tomcat
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
At 07:30 AM 3/6/2002, Dave Cramer wrote:
>Pooled connections aren't rocket science. There are quite a few freely
>available, poolman for one.

For what it's worth, I never got Poolman 2.0.4 to work with the JDBC 7.2
drivers; occasionally and for no reason it would give me spurious errors on
perfectly good SQL. I posted about it a week or two ago on this list. I
received no replies, and furthermore got no replies from the author(s) and
found little information about it on the net.

I now use Protomatter (protomatter.sourceforge.net) and have had very good
success with it. It's a more simple implementation, hence, probably faster
and/or more bug free, and the author has been very talkative and has
implemented some enhancements/repairs that I have suggested/provided.

Also to back up what Dave said - you never know when and/or even if the GC
is going to collect your connections, so always close them in a finally
block. The beauty of GC is that it's non-deterministic and allows you to be
sloppy. The horror of GC is that it's non-deterministic and allows you to
be sloppy.

Cheers,

Doug