Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo
Дата
Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo  (Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@toroid.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 09/21/2010 11:28 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> I just went to do my usual merge from the git version of HEAD (at
> git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git), and it seemed to be
> doing an awful lot of work to prepare to attempt the merge.  That
> leads me to think that the newly converted git, or a copy of it, is
> now at that location, which is cool.  But I have concerns about what
> to do with my development branch off the old one.
>
> I'm afraid that in spite of several attempts, I don't yet properly
> have my head around the git approach, and fear that I'll muck things
> up without a little direction; and I'd be surprised if I'm the only
> one in this position.
>
> Can someone give advice, preferably in the form of a "recipe", for
> how to set up a new repo here based on the newly converted repo, and
> merge the work from my branch (with all the related history) into a
> branch off the new repo?

I was just mentioning to Magnus a couple of hours ago on chat that this
would create headaches for some people.

Basically, AIUI, you have to move the old repo aside and freshly clone
the new repo.

I haven't migrated my development trees yet, but I'm planning on simply
applying a diff from the old repo to a newly created branch in the new
repo. However, that does mean losing the private commit history. I'm not
sure much can be done about that, unless you migrate each commit
separately, which could be painful. Maybe some of the git gurus have
better ideas, though.

cheers

andrew