Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo

От Aidan Van Dyk
Тема Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> [100921 11:59]:

> I was just mentioning to Magnus a couple of hours ago on chat that this
> would create headaches for some people.
>
> Basically, AIUI, you have to move the old repo aside and freshly clone
> the new repo.
>
> I haven't migrated my development trees yet, but I'm planning on simply
> applying a diff from the old repo to a newly created branch in the new
> repo. However, that does mean losing the private commit history. I'm not
> sure much can be done about that, unless you migrate each commit
> separately, which could be painful. Maybe some of the git gurus have
> better ideas, though.

Someone mentioned "git rebase".  That' probably going to be slow on
distint repositories too.  The grafts mentioned will speed that up.

But probably the easiest way, if you have a nice clean history, is to
use "git formatpatch".  This produces a nice "series" of patches, with
your commit message, and content, and dates, all preserved, ready for
re-applying (git am can do that automatically on the new branch), or
emailing, or whatever.

If you're history is a complicated tangle of merges because you
constantly just re-merge the "CVS HEAD" into your dev branch, then it
might be time to just do a massive "diff" and "apply" anyways ;-)

a.

aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,

Сообщение: Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo
Сообщение: Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo