Re: VACUUMs and WAL

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: VACUUMs and WAL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 10:10 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:

>>> IIRC the first heap pass just collects info and does nothing else.
>>> Is this just an empty/do-nothing WAL record ?
>> 8.3 changed that; it used to work that way. I guess I never looked at
>> the amount of WAL being generated.
>
> I can't see how it is safe to do anything more than just lookups on
> first pass.

What's done in the first pass is the same HOT pruning that is done
opportunistically on other page accesses as well. IIRC it's required for
correctness, though I can't remember what exactly the issue was.

I don't think the extra WAL volume is a problem; VACUUM doesn't generate
much WAL, anyway. As for the extra data page writes it causes; yeah,
that might cause some I/O that could be avoided, but remember that the
first pass often dirties buffers anyway to set hint bits.

Сообщение: Re: Window Functions: v07 APIs and buffering strateties
Сообщение: Re: Window Functions: v07 APIs and buffering strateties