Re: Suggestions needed about how to dump/restore a database

От Olivier Boissard
Тема Re: Suggestions needed about how to dump/restore a database
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Chris Hoover a écrit :
> One other option is to shut the database down competely, and then do a
> copy of the file system the new server.  I have done this when I need
> to move a very large database to a new server.  I can copy 500GB's in
> a couple of hours, where restoring my large databases backups would
> take 10+ hours.  Just make sure you are keeping postgres at the same
> version level.
>
> HTH,
>
> Chris
>
> On 12/19/06, *Arnau* <arnaulist@andromeiberica.com
> <mailto:arnaulist@andromeiberica.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>        I've got a DB in production that is bigger than 2GB that dumping it
>     takes more than 12 hours. I have a new server to replace this old one
>     where I have restore the DB's dump. The problem is I can't afford to
>     have the server out of business for so long, so I need your advice
>     about
>     how you'd do this dump/restore. The big amount of data is placed
>     in two
>     tables (statistics data), so I was thinking in dump/restore all
>     except
>     this two tables and once the server is running again I'd dump/restore
>     this data. The problem is I don't know how exactly do this.
>
>        Any suggestion?
>
>     Thanks
>     --
>     Arnau
>

>     ---------------------------(end of
>     broadcast)---------------------------
>     TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>            choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>            match

How many tables have you got in your database ?

If you have only a few tables you can dump them one at a time

pgdump -t ....

Olivier

Вложения

От: Stefan Holzheu
Сообщение: Bug with plpgsql function after drop column ?
От: Thomas Markus
Сообщение: Re: Suggestions needed about how to dump/restore a database