Re: Suggestions needed about how to dump/restore a database

От Brad Nicholson
Тема Re: Suggestions needed about how to dump/restore a database
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 10:37 +0100, Olivier Boissard wrote:
> Chris Hoover a écrit :
> > One other option is to shut the database down competely, and then do a
> > copy of the file system the new server.  I have done this when I need
> > to move a very large database to a new server.  I can copy 500GB's in
> > a couple of hours, where restoring my large databases backups would
> > take 10+ hours.  Just make sure you are keeping postgres at the same
> > version level.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > On 12/19/06, *Arnau* <arnaulist@andromeiberica.com
> > <mailto:arnaulist@andromeiberica.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi all,
> >
> >        I've got a DB in production that is bigger than 2GB that dumping it
> >     takes more than 12 hours. I have a new server to replace this old one
> >     where I have restore the DB's dump. The problem is I can't afford to
> >     have the server out of business for so long, so I need your advice
> >     about
> >     how you'd do this dump/restore. The big amount of data is placed
> >     in two
> >     tables (statistics data), so I was thinking in dump/restore all
> >     except
> >     this two tables and once the server is running again I'd dump/restore
> >     this data. The problem is I don't know how exactly do this.
> >
> >        Any suggestion?
> >
> >     Thanks
> >     --
> >     Arnau
> >

> >     ---------------------------(end of
> >     broadcast)---------------------------
> >     TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
> >            choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
> >            match
> >

> How many tables have you got in your database ?
>
> If you have only a few tables you can dump them one at a time

This approach can get you into serious trouble.  Say you a have two
tables (a and b) that reference one another - you dump table a at time
t1.  You dump table b at time t2.  In between t1 and t2, you delete a
tuple from a and it's referenced tuple from b.  Your dump is garbage.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106