Re: PostgreSQl newbie! -PLease help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: PostgreSQl newbie! -PLease help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
lmyho wrote:

>>The authentication methods are handled between the libraries (libpq and
>>libpxx) and the server.  They are transparent to the application.
>>
>>identd sameuser means use the identd service to require look up the
>>owner of the process and log him/her in accordingly.  This means that
>>you cannot change your login name but don't require a password (if you
>>are on the DB server-- do not trust it remotely).
>>
>>For remote connections kerberos can be used instead, though this takes
>>more setup and knowledge of Kerberos as a system.
>>

>Really thank you Chris!!  I really don't know these.:( Forgot what I  tried last
>night, but I ke[t using user postgres to try everytime as I was trying to login as
>an admin user. So here you mean actually with the "ident sameuser", the other
>username can also login if the access is issued from the user's own process?  (not
>sure how should I state it correctly, but hope you know what I mean):

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

With identd authentication a username is still specified.  But you have
to own the process to login with that username.  So generally speaking
(absent sudo and the like) you can generally login only with the same
username as your OS username.

The documentation of PostgreSQL goes into a bit of depth on
authentication, but if you want a little bit to get started, you might
find the following article helpful:

http://www.metatrontech.com/sql-ledger-wiki/index.php?UnderstandingPostgreSQLAuthentication

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers