Postgres 8.0 Log Configuration

От Pallav Kalva
Тема Postgres 8.0 Log Configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

    Whenever i start my postgres 8 server i do "pg_ctl restart -D
/var/lib/pgsql/data -l /var/log/postgresql/postmaster"  where
/var/log/postgresql/ is the dir and postmaster is the output log file
for all postgres logging and errors.  This above command works fine and
logs all the postgres related messages into the specified filename.  But
I dont want to specify the "-l /var/log/postgresql/postmaster" option
everytime I start the postmaster. I want to set the logfile name in the
postgresql.conf file, i used the following setting :

log_destination = 'syslog,stderr'
redirect_stderr = true
log_directory = '/var/lib/pgsql/'
log_filename = 'postmaster.log'

   But still whenever i start my postgres server some of the messages
are not logged into the specified logfile name in the postgresq.conf
file and it is printing the log messages on the command line like this :

$ pg_ctl restart -m f -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -o "-p 5432"
waiting for postmaster to shut down....2005-01-21 10:37:13 EST%% LOG:
logger shutting down
 done
postmaster stopped
postmaster starting
$ 2005-01-21 10:37:15 EST%% LOG:  could not create IPv6 socket: Address
family not supported by protocol

  I want all the postgres related messages to be logged into the file
in "log_filename" parameter specified in postgresql.conf . I tried
changing "log_destination" parameter to syslog only or stderr only but
still no change.   am I missing something here ?  or this is not
possible with the postgresql.conf

Thanks in advance.
Pallav