Re: Postgres 8.0 Log Configuration

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgres 8.0 Log Configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Pallav Kalva <pkalva@deg.cc> writes:
>    But still whenever i start my postgres server some of the messages
> are not logged into the specified logfile name in the postgresq.conf
> file and it is printing the log messages on the command line like this :

> $ pg_ctl restart -m f -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -o "-p 5432"
> waiting for postmaster to shut down....2005-01-21 10:37:13 EST%% LOG:
> logger shutting down
>  done
> postmaster stopped
> postmaster starting
> $ 2005-01-21 10:37:15 EST%% LOG:  could not create IPv6 socket: Address
> family not supported by protocol

There are some messages that can get printed before redirect_stderr has
taken effect; in particular anything associated with problems in
postgresql.conf is likely to be so printed.  Also messages burped out by
the stderr redirection process come out that way (the "logger shutting
down" for instance).  So you still really have to have a small log file
that exists to catch startup messages.  I'd suggest continuing to use
"-l pgstartup.log" or some such.