Обсуждение: Postgres 8.0 Log Configuration

Postgres 8.0 Log Configuration

От
Pallav Kalva
Дата:
Hi,

    Whenever i start my postgres 8 server i do "pg_ctl restart -D
/var/lib/pgsql/data -l /var/log/postgresql/postmaster"  where
/var/log/postgresql/ is the dir and postmaster is the output log file
for all postgres logging and errors.  This above command works fine and
logs all the postgres related messages into the specified filename.  But
I dont want to specify the "-l /var/log/postgresql/postmaster" option
everytime I start the postmaster. I want to set the logfile name in the
postgresql.conf file, i used the following setting :

log_destination = 'syslog,stderr'
redirect_stderr = true
log_directory = '/var/lib/pgsql/'
log_filename = 'postmaster.log'

   But still whenever i start my postgres server some of the messages
are not logged into the specified logfile name in the postgresq.conf
file and it is printing the log messages on the command line like this :

$ pg_ctl restart -m f -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -o "-p 5432"
waiting for postmaster to shut down....2005-01-21 10:37:13 EST%% LOG:
logger shutting down
 done
postmaster stopped
postmaster starting
$ 2005-01-21 10:37:15 EST%% LOG:  could not create IPv6 socket: Address
family not supported by protocol

  I want all the postgres related messages to be logged into the file
in "log_filename" parameter specified in postgresql.conf . I tried
changing "log_destination" parameter to syslog only or stderr only but
still no change.   am I missing something here ?  or this is not
possible with the postgresql.conf

Thanks in advance.
Pallav

Re: Postgres 8.0 Log Configuration

Дата:
Pallav Kalva <pkalva@deg.cc> writes:
>    But still whenever i start my postgres server some of the messages
> are not logged into the specified logfile name in the postgresq.conf
> file and it is printing the log messages on the command line like this :

> $ pg_ctl restart -m f -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -o "-p 5432"
> waiting for postmaster to shut down....2005-01-21 10:37:13 EST%% LOG:
> logger shutting down
>  done
> postmaster stopped
> postmaster starting
> $ 2005-01-21 10:37:15 EST%% LOG:  could not create IPv6 socket: Address
> family not supported by protocol

There are some messages that can get printed before redirect_stderr has
taken effect; in particular anything associated with problems in
postgresql.conf is likely to be so printed.  Also messages burped out by
the stderr redirection process come out that way (the "logger shutting
down" for instance).  So you still really have to have a small log file
that exists to catch startup messages.  I'd suggest continuing to use
"-l pgstartup.log" or some such.

            regards, tom lane