Re: Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Asking for existence of a GUI frame work similar to Oracle APEX for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/21/22 10:49 AM, Dionisis Kontominas wrote:
>  1. I assume you used the Ubuntu Server edition, not the desktop one. Is
>     this correct?

Both. They are variations on a theme:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu#Official_distributions

"Ubuntu has a server edition[113][114] that uses the same APT
repositories as the Ubuntu Desktop Edition. The differences between them
are the absence of an X Window environment in a default installation of
the server edition (although one can easily be installed, including
Unity, GNOME, KDE or Xfce), and some alterations to the installation
process.[115] The server edition uses a screen-mode, character-based
interface for the installation, instead of a graphical installation
process. This enables installation on machines with a serial or "dumb
terminal" interface without graphics support. "

>  2. It depends on whether you keep the GUI in Oracle APEX. If so then
>     yes, as APEX and tomcat and ORDS are free and need only the basic
>     license for the Oracle DB. Otherwise if a free/low cost low code
>     tool/framework is found then they can be abolished.

Alright, that opens it up a bit. Right off the top of my head I can't
come with a replacement.

> Thank you for your response!
>
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 at 19:36, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 10/21/22 10:25 AM, Dionisis Kontominas wrote:
>      > Hello Adam,
>      >
>      >     Thank you for your response. Regarding the details:
>      >
>      >  1. I have no experience managing; I know some basic introductory
>      >     administrator things. Only point I think is important is to
>     consider
>      >     a server version of Linux and nt a desktop one, i.e.
>     something like
>      >     Ubuntu Server or Redhat Server or other.
>
>     Folks with more experience using both would have to comment in
>     detail on
>     that. My comments would be, I have used openSUSE and Ubuntu(Server) for
>     small installations with no issues either way. I do like the ability to
>     jump from LTS(Long Term Support) to LTS version in Ubuntu, bypassing
>     all
>     the intermediate releases.
>
>      >  2. OLTP applications. Up to 10 - 50 GB database size. The user
>      >     interface is Web-based, currently using Oracle APEX,
>     Tomcat+ORDS and
>      >     Oracle Database as a back-end.
>
>     Are you looking to retain the Tomcat+ORDS portion of the stack?
>
>      >
>      > Thank you for your time!
>      > Kindest regards,
>      > Dionisis Kontominas