Request for comment...

От William Meloney
Тема Request for comment...
Дата
Re: Request for comment...  (Ron Mahoney <rmahoney@infotech-nj.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
My previous post was a knee jerk reaction to a crash of Postmaster.  I did not list it
but Postmaster was named in the crash dump.  The top of the message is repeated
here...

    Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
00000073
    *pde = 00000000
    Oops = 0002
    cpu = 0
    eip = 0010:[<e080c060>]
    eflags = 00010206

My request for comment is comprised of three parts...

1.)  What hardware should I consider when looking at Linux?  I know this is a broad
question but the answer is simple.  What hardware are you using to run you Linux
implementation?

2.)  What Linux distribution is best suited for running PostgreSQL?  Again, what
distro are you using?

3.)  Is PostgreSQL well suited for the acquisition and storage of 24/7 insert-once,
never-update-or-delete data?  (Approximately 4 million records inserted from Jan 1
to Mar 31)