Обсуждение: Request for comment...

Request for comment...

От
"William Meloney"
Дата:
My previous post was a knee jerk reaction to a crash of Postmaster.  I did not list it
but Postmaster was named in the crash dump.  The top of the message is repeated
here...

    Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
00000073
    *pde = 00000000
    Oops = 0002
    cpu = 0
    eip = 0010:[<e080c060>]
    eflags = 00010206

My request for comment is comprised of three parts...

1.)  What hardware should I consider when looking at Linux?  I know this is a broad
question but the answer is simple.  What hardware are you using to run you Linux
implementation?

2.)  What Linux distribution is best suited for running PostgreSQL?  Again, what
distro are you using?

3.)  Is PostgreSQL well suited for the acquisition and storage of 24/7 insert-once,
never-update-or-delete data?  (Approximately 4 million records inserted from Jan 1
to Mar 31)

Re: Request for comment...

От
Jean-Marc Pigeon
Дата:
Bonjour William Meloney

> My request for comment is comprised of three parts...
>
> 1.)  What hardware should I consider when looking at Linux?  I know this is a broad
> question but the answer is simple.  What hardware are you using to run you Linux
> implementation?Dual Processor Pentium III, SCSI, 512 Meg ram
>
> 2.)  What Linux distribution is best suited for running PostgreSQL?  Again, what
> distro are you using?RedHat-7.2
>
> 3.)  Is PostgreSQL well suited for the acquisition and storage of 24/7 insert-once,
> never-update-or-delete data?  (Approximately 4 million records inserted from Jan 1
> to Mar 31)Yes, our Application (Regulus) is working 24/7, takinga lot of transaction.(I just checked, on our live
demo,new version installed  Marsh 22 we recorded 358992 transactions)Hope that help.

A bientot
Jean-Marc Pigeon              Internet:   Jean-Marc.Pigeon@safe.ca
SAFE Inc.                Phone: (514) 493-4280  Fax: (514) 493-1946      REGULUS,  a real time accounting/billing
packagefor ISP          REGULUS' Home base <"http://www.regulus.safe.ca">

Re: Request for comment...

От
Ron Mahoney
Дата:
RedHat 7.2
PostgreSQL 7.2
Dual Pentium III, with 256MB RAM (really need 512MB as a minimum), SCSI
drives.

4 Million insert in one month and still going.

Remeber to VACUUM ANALYZE (very important for the planner).  Use the
tuning tips to tune at least shared_buffers, and sort_mem.