Re: State of Beta 2

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Re: State of Beta 2  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Rawnsley <ronz@ravensfield.com> writes:
> On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 03:59 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> If someone is willing to pony up 2000.00 per month for a period of at
>> least 6 months, I will dedicated one of my programmers to the task.

> Do the core folk (Tom/Bruce/Jan/etc) think this is doable with that
> sort of time commitment?

While I dislike staring gift horses in the mouth, I have to say that
the people I think could do it (a) are getting paid more than $24K/yr,
and (b) are names already seen regularly in the PG commit logs.  If
there's anyone in category (b) who works for Command Prompt, I missed
the connection.

I have no doubt that a competent programmer could learn the Postgres
innards well enough to do the job; as someone pointed out earlier in
this thread, none of the core committee was born knowing Postgres.
I do, however, doubt that it can be done in six months if one has
any significant learning curve to climb up first.