Re: State of Beta 2

От Kaare Rasmussen
Тема Re: State of Beta 2
Дата
Re: State of Beta 2  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Re: State of Beta 2  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
Re: State of Beta 2  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
>> If someone is willing to pony up 2000.00 per month for a period of at
>> least 6 months, I will dedicated one of my programmers to the task.

I stated the "how much will it cost" question, but I'm beginning to think that
it's the wrong approach. From the answers in this thread I do believe that it
will be an eternal chase with almost certainty of errors.

Some people have claimed that the big commercial databases don't change their
on-disk represantation anymore. Maybe PostgreSQL could try to aim for this
goal. At least try to get the on-disk changes ready for 7.5 - with or without
the functionality to use it. I think that any pg_* table changes could be
done with a small and efficient pg_upgrade.

Big items that will change the way PostgreSQL stores its data would be
Tablespaces
PITR
More ?

I know it's not possible to tell the future, but if Oracle is steady,
shouldn't it be possible?

How do other Open Source systems do ? MySQL (or maybe better: InnoDB),
FireBird ??

Howitzvej 75               Åben 12.00-18.00        Email: kar@kakidata.dk
2000 Frederiksberg        Lørdag 12.00-16.00       Web:      www.suse.dk