Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 03:52, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
>> So the question is if the 8.0.1 is really well tested

> 7.4.7 is very stable, and has had about two years shake down time,
> counting beta testing.  8.0 is quite a bit newer, and to top it off,
> includes a LOT of changes to the basic way it works.

Against which you should consider that there are also some bugs fixed
from 7.4.* to 8.0 ... so it's not black and white.

I suspect for example that Janning Vygen's xlog-overflow problem of this
morning is related to a 7.4-specific bug, which we considered too risky
to backpatch (the problem is that btree index build kept shared buffers
pinned for long periods, and the solution in 8.0 is to do the build in
local memory instead... which is rather a major change).

So far I've been very pleased with the low defect rate against 8.0.
Most of the bugs we have fixed were either in new features, or were
pre-existing problems that also occur in 7.4 or even further back.

Since 8.0.2 is due out in a week or so, it'd be worth waiting for that
before considering going to production, but you should take a hard look
at using 8.0.*.

Сообщение: Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature
Сообщение: Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature