Обсуждение: is postgresql 8 is realy mature

is postgresql 8 is realy mature

От
Tsirkin Evgeny
Дата:
Hi list!
We are using currently postgresql 7.3.4 havily and planning an upgrade.
our choices are either 7.4.x which comes with distribution (suse) or 8.0.1 .
We can allow our selfs some testing time and minor changes in applications
if needed but of course this is good to avoid .
So the question is if the 8.0.1 is really well tested ,or maybe we
should move
to 7.4 or just leave 7.3 where it is?
We wil be thankfull for any sharing of experience .
Thanks.

Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 03:52, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
> Hi list!
> We are using currently postgresql 7.3.4 havily and planning an upgrade.
> our choices are either 7.4.x which comes with distribution (suse) or 8.0.1 .
> We can allow our selfs some testing time and minor changes in applications
> if needed but of course this is good to avoid .
> So the question is if the 8.0.1 is really well tested ,or maybe we
> should move
> to 7.4 or just leave 7.3 where it is?
> We wil be thankfull for any sharing of experience .

7.4.7 is very stable, and has had about two years shake down time,
counting beta testing.  8.0 is quite a bit newer, and to top it off,
includes a LOT of changes to the basic way it works.

If you've got the time to test it, I'd do so, but I'm still running
production on 7.4.7, and probably will be for at least six more months.

Slony is a great tool for testing the newer versions while keeping your
production systems on 7.3.

Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 11:52:34 +0200,
  Tsirkin Evgeny <tsurkin@mail.jct.ac.il> wrote:

> Hi list!
> We are using currently postgresql 7.3.4 havily and planning an upgrade.
> our choices are either 7.4.x which comes with distribution (suse) or 8.0.1 .
> We can allow our selfs some testing time and minor changes in applications
> if needed but of course this is good to avoid .
> So the question is if the 8.0.1 is really well tested ,or maybe we
> should move
> to 7.4 or just leave 7.3 where it is?
> We wil be thankfull for any sharing of experience .

There aren't a lot of outstanding issues with version 8.0, so using it should
be considered. You might want to look and see if any of the new features
will be useful for you. If not, maybe sticking with 7.4 would be better for
you.
Also note that there is an 8.0.2 beta available and there will probably be
an 8.0.2 release late in the week. If you are going to start testing, you
want to grab 8.0.2.

Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature

Дата:
Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> writes:
> On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 03:52, Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
>> So the question is if the 8.0.1 is really well tested

> 7.4.7 is very stable, and has had about two years shake down time,
> counting beta testing.  8.0 is quite a bit newer, and to top it off,
> includes a LOT of changes to the basic way it works.

Against which you should consider that there are also some bugs fixed
from 7.4.* to 8.0 ... so it's not black and white.

I suspect for example that Janning Vygen's xlog-overflow problem of this
morning is related to a 7.4-specific bug, which we considered too risky
to backpatch (the problem is that btree index build kept shared buffers
pinned for long periods, and the solution in 8.0 is to do the build in
local memory instead... which is rather a major change).

So far I've been very pleased with the low defect rate against 8.0.
Most of the bugs we have fixed were either in new features, or were
pre-existing problems that also occur in 7.4 or even further back.

Since 8.0.2 is due out in a week or so, it'd be worth waiting for that
before considering going to production, but you should take a hard look
at using 8.0.*.

            regards, tom lane

Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature

От
"Frank L. Parks"
Дата:
For SuSE, you can currently get the 8.0.1 RPMs at
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/postgresql/.  I don't know when they will
post the 8.0.2 RPMs.

I recently upgraded from 7.3.x to 8.0.1 on 9.0 and as long as you remember
to do the pg_dumpall and then the restore (psql) everything should go
smoothly.

I hope this helps.

Frank

We are using currently postgresql 7.3.4 havily and planning an upgrade.
our choices are either 7.4.x which comes with distribution (suse) or 8.0.1 .
We can allow our selfs some testing time and minor changes in applications
if needed but of course this is good to avoid .
So the question is if the 8.0.1 is really well tested ,or maybe we
should move
to 7.4 or just leave 7.3 where it is?
We wil be thankfull for any sharing of experience .
Thanks.

Re: is postgresql 8 is realy mature

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, tsurkin@mail.jct.ac.il (Tsirkin Evgeny) wrote:
> Hi list!
> We are using currently postgresql 7.3.4 havily and planning an upgrade.
> our choices are either 7.4.x which comes with distribution (suse) or 8.0.1 .
> We can allow our selfs some testing time and minor changes in applications
> if needed but of course this is good to avoid .
> So the question is if the 8.0.1 is really well tested ,or maybe we
> should move
> to 7.4 or just leave 7.3 where it is?
> We wil be thankfull for any sharing of experience .
> Thanks.

I would certainly seriously consider a move to 7.4.x; that should be a
useful improvement in terms of both functionality as well as bug
fixes.

Version 8.0.1 is a bit less widely used, just yet.  Two things about
it cause me a bit of pause:

 1.  Introduction of native Win32 support has "touched" quite a lot of
     code, with some corresponding potential for diminishing the
     ability to consider past testing to remain legitimate;

 2.  The TWO changes in cacheing are pretty major, namely the
     implementation of ARC, with its forthcoming replacement with 2Q.

Tom Lane has observed that there have not been many new defects found,
and that of those found, many actually do apply to earlier versions.
Which is eminently encouraging.

For systems not expected to go into production for a while yet, I'd
personally be fairly game to use 8.0.2, once released.  For things to
"go to production" immediately, I would be more than happy to use a
7.4.6 or 7.4.7; you may fairly reasonably expect to see material
improvements with a 7.3->7.4 transition.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html