Re: Old database format..

От Anuj Pankaj
Тема Re: Old database format..
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

Earlier, I had installed Postgres 8.1.9 on Linux and then uninstalled
the same(Postgres 8.1.9) .
Now I have installed the Postgres 8.1.4 and while running up server, I
am getting error.
I have logged in as Postgres user and it takes me to Bash Shell and then
I fired the following commands

    Command 1.    initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

    Result of the command:
        The files belonging to this database system will be
owned by user "postgres".

        The database cluster will be initialized with locale
en_US.UTF-8.
        The default database encoding has accordingly been set
to UTF8.

        initdb: directory "/var/lib/pgsql/data" exists but is
not empty
        If you want to create a new database system, either
remove or empty
        the directory "/var/lib/pgsql/data" or run initdb
        with an argument other than "/var/lib/pgsql/data".

    Command 2. /etc/init.d/postgresql  start

    Result of the command:
        cat: /var/lib/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION: Permission denied

        An old version of the database format was found.
        You need to upgrade the data format before using
PostgreSQL.
        See /usr/share/doc/postgresql-8.1.4/README.rpm-dist for
more information.

Please help me to up the server.

Regards,
Anuj Pankaj