Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)
Дата
Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul  2, 2020 at 08:35:40PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> But the problem isn't really the hashaggs-that-spill patch itself.
> Rather, the problem is the way that work_mem is supposed to behave in
> general, and the impact that that has on hash aggregate now that it
> has finally been brought into line with every other kind of executor
> node. There just isn't much reason to think that we should give the
> same amount of memory to a groupagg + sort as a hash aggregate. The
> patch more or less broke an existing behavior that is itself
> officially broken. That is, the problem that we're trying to fix here
> is only a problem to the extent that the previous scheme isn't really
> operating as intended (because grouping estimates are inherently very
> hard). A revert doesn't seem like it helps anyone.
>
> I accept that the idea of inventing hash_mem to fix this problem now
> is unorthodox. In a certain sense it solves problems beyond the
> problems that we're theoretically obligated to solve now. But any
> "more conservative" approach that I can think of seems like a big
> mess.

Well, the bottom line is that we are designing features during beta.
People are supposed to be testing PG 13 behavior during beta, including
optimizer behavior.  We don't even have a user report yet of a
regression compared to PG 12, or one that can't be fixed by increasing
work_mem.

If we add a new behavior to PG 13, we then have the pre-PG 13 behavior,
the pre-patch behavior, and the post-patch behavior.  How are people
supposed to test all of that?  Add to that that some don't even feel we
need a new behavior, which is delaying any patch from being applied.